Table to Whiteboard-DIY Improvements to the Classroom

A few weeks ago I came across a tweet from @katuppman about an easy to use product that transforms surfaces to whiteboards. What a great idea! I promptly went to Home Depot and bought and can of Rus-toleum Dry Erase paint and got to work. It was such an easy process. It took me all of two hours to complete one table and voila, I've got a brand new whiteboard table. Eventually I'd like to convert all my tables, but I thought I would start with just one to see how it is received by my students. Here are a few pictures of the process and how I went about it.

Materials

Procedure
  • line edges of desk or whatever you are transforming with masking tape
  • mix the hardener and paint 
  • apply several coats to the surface (what 20-30 minutes in between coats)
  • ensure to paint all surfaces in one go as the product is only good for up to 24 hours
Challenges
  • approval from administration-really shouldn't be a problem
  • make sure you apply the paint in a consistent manner as to ensure a smooth finish
  • use a dense foam roller-this will help create a smooth finish
  • let it cure for at least a few days before you write on it with dry erase markers
Process
Materials

Before

1st Coat

2nd and final Coat
Here is the blogpost that Katie Uppman wrote that inspired me to get going on this great idea. I think all desks/tables in classrooms should use this! I hope you get inspired to do it as well. Thanks Katie!

Comments